Sunday, July 12, 2015

Reading Aloud The Great Gift

Megan Cox Gurdon's Saturday piece in the Wall Street Journal The Great Gift of Reading Aloud,
is a sweet piece on the joys and rewards of reading aloud.  She extols the past of personal contact, and a time before every great story became a movie.  She decries the digital age and the ubiquitous nature of electronic media.   Many know of this wonderful way to jump start learning and connect with your children.   I was read to and I read to my children. So hear, hear for a wonderful idea.
Gurdon shared a sidebar full of her favorite picks. I don't want to quilbble with her choices. They are excellent, but I was surprised Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little weren't on the list.  And for the picture book category I want to highlight one of my favorite childhood books and that was also 
popular when I babysat as a teen, Herbert the Lion by Claire Turley Newberry.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment